December 22, 2009

Happy Holidays!

There have been some new followers to my blog lately. Welcome and Thank you!

Let me clear the air and wash away any expectations - this is not a very insightful blog. I have no wise words to impart or pearls of wisdom.

It's a place for me to express myself and allow readers to get to know me a little better. I'm a regular person who happened to write a book. It was a great escape from my health issues and I enjoyed it so much I've decided to make it a new career. Whether or not it's a huge success or a total flop will be revealed in time. So far, so good ;-)

Today's post will be my last one for a week or so. I want to spend more time relaxing and less time on line and I'm hoping this will be a good way to start. Of course it's incredibly hard since I've sent a ton of advanced reader copies out to reviewers all over the country and I'll be obsessively checking my email to see if they like it as much as the Facebook readers do. Why did I feel the need to add more stress right now?

Made a interesting discovery - it's cheaper to print a book on Lulu and pay the shipping then it is get copies printed at Staples. Try $277 at Staples compared to $127 at Lulu. Granted, I can't send a bound copy to publishers to read - but it would be nice if I could. Cheaper too. I'll be sending out the ten hard copy requests when they arrive - which should be the first week in January.

Why have I been dragging my feet to send V V out to other publishers?

I'm not really sure why. Maybe because I secretly have hopes that Dorchester will pick it up and then I don't have to go through the waiting game crap shoot again. I have a 50% chance of getting published through them (yes, my math is right. The editors revealed they may take more than one book if the book appeals to them). Those odds are much MUCH better than the 2% odds through the other publishers. Even though they requested my work I have no idea exactly what that means - does it mean it is not on a slush pile? Does it mean it will get read in under three months?

The process would be so much easier with an agent. I've got partials and fulls out with four or five right now. The rejections and requests have come in so often lately that I haven't really been keeping track. I stick them in an email folder and don't bother to count. After all, until one of them is a yes there is really no point is there?

On to reporting about my weekend: I live in the DC metro area and this past weekend we got hit with a big snow storm. Not big by mid-western standards - not by a long shot - but big for us. It was magical. About 14 to 16 inches in DC and 24 inches in the suburbs where we live.

Pete and I were in DC at a hotel in the China Town section near the Verizon Center. He wanted to cancel the trip and stay home in case the roads got bad and I refused. Even if the kids and dogs were elsewhere the laundry and computer were here and there was no way in hell I'd be able to ignore them all weekend. Not to mention I would then have to cook. I like to cook, but day in and day out it can get dull and uninspiring.

Our first night we went in to Georgetown. I think if we ever retire and are lucky enough to have saved well we'd like a house in the mountains and a place in Georgetown. The people are so nice, the shops are gorgeous, the restaurants are divine - oh, and live music! We got lucky enough to stumble on a place that played live jazz from six to eight. A college-aged band of five guys and one female singer put on a terrific show.

The music was soulful and the singing was sultry and sensual. The place didn't have many people that early on and it felt like an impromptu jam session with some truly gifted performers. It was a GREAT way to start our weekend.

I'll leave the naughty details of the weekend out, but suffice it to say it was just what we both needed. Saturday was spent truckin' through the snow in the morning for Pete to buy boots at City Sports and then later in the day for an adventure out to an Irish pub called Fado.

Pete tried to talk me into walking the six blocks to the Whitehouse to see the tree and we were glad the next day that I was a bitch about it and refused - turns out it wasn't turned on and the fire pit wasn't done either. That would have been a seriously long walk with snow blasting you in the face (it snowed a full 24 hours), boots that are not waterproof and only wearing a wool pea-coat -- I'm not sure I could have stopped bitching for the next few weeks.

I have some great pictures of the deserted side streets, the DC Library and a snow covered China Town. Once I get my butt in gear I'll load them up online for everyone to see.

Getting away for the weekend, drinking questionable amounts of alcohol and raising the thermostat in the room was the best way to unwind before the upcoming holidays.

Wishing you all an equally enjoyable holiday season. May you tolerate your children and have fun with them while being snowed in, may you watch movies that make you laugh and cry, may you eat and drink and relax -

You all deserve it.

Now I'm off to do some laundry and try to create some order in my house. Doing that prior to hosting family here will lower my stress level and I'll be sure to reward my efforts with a trip to the hot tub through the snow drifts in my backyard. Cocktail in hand ;-)

Happy Holidays!
C.J.

2 comments:

RKCharron said...

Hi :)
Thank you for the update post CJ :)
Merry Christmas!
RKCharron

C.J. Ellisson said...

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you as well, RK!!

See? Not Talkin' Out My Ass!

About this blog:

"Who the heck is this C.J. chick?"

Sure, you may not have heard of me and that's okay. I may not have heard of you either ;-) But ask yourself this one simple question -- What were you doing in January 2009 and had you ever written one word of fiction?

I can tell you where I was and what I was doing. I spent days in doctor's offices and sitting at home the rest of the time, wondering what I was going to do with my time now that my property management and Realtor business was on hold for the foreseeable future.

That's right, I never wrote a fictional piece before and I never thought I could be a writer. My background is Art, Chemistry and Business… not English, Journalism, or Creative Writing.

Now, I'm an award-winning bestselling author of contemporary fantasy. In under three years. And I have over 10,000 followers on facebook. Do you? 'Cause if you do then you probably don't need my help. ;-)

Side Note: I use an editor for all my books (several in fact), but not on my blog posts. So if you see errors, try to be nice and overlook them.

Please comment on the posts you find helpful -- I look forward to getting to know you!

Blog Visitors

Blog Visitors:

GFC Followers

Follow by Email

Search

Loading...

Interview on RRN